I just finished a good book, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I had never read any of her books until several weeks ago when my mother recommended Leota's Garden. Then, Ginger told me she was reading a Francine Rivers book too. She let me borrow Redeeming Love when she was finished. Ginger and I are both discovering that we actually do like to read after all. After years of always saying that I "just don't enjoy reading", I have found that I love to read! I always felt guilty because I was a teacher and wanted to instill the love of reading in children because I knew how important it was, but I still just really didn't care much about it. I would only read when I had to. I look back and think, "How could I say I didn't enjoy reading? How could anyone NOT enjoy reading?". I guess you just have to find books that appeal to you. I have to say thanks to Laura Morgan for inspiring me with her love of books. She has recommended several books to me and I have loved them all.
I'm always a little sad when I finish a good book. Although I get a great feeling of accomplishment, like a kid....."wow, I read a really thick book"! I mourn for a few days after. I really miss the characters. I'm sad that I won't be able to hang out with them anymore. It's like a relationship that is just abruptly over. No phone calls, no short visits, just over. Oh well, it just makes me want to start another book quickly.
When I get really interested in a book, I begin to neglect other things. ie, laundry, dishes, cooking, children, husband............so I need a few days to catch up on things in between. Josh one time told me, "I should have never taught you to read". Funny Josh.
I've also been feeling a little guilty about all of my fictional reading. I get a little intimidated by some non-fiction stuff. I just picked up The Passion of Jesus Christ, by John Piper. It was in a box full of books that Joyce Sullivan was getting rid of. It is a short book. I think I can handle it. I'm going to try to finish it quickly. I'm a one-book-at-a-time kinda girl. Can't have too much going on at one time. Overload!
Carson's sleeping. I think I'll go catch up on all those "in between" things so I can read some more.
Monday, February 4, 2008
New Love
Posted by Paige M at 2:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Kim Hill is trying to lure me into reading too. She's convincing me by telling me about you and Ginger. I'll read anything that holds my attention. I love the Sisterchicks books, if you want to borrow them. But I too am not a big reader. Laura said she will let me borrow "I Capture the Castle".
"I Capture the Castle" is Great!!! That is probably the book that got me hooked.
I love to read. I only like certain books so for me it is branching out that I am working on. Good job reading a big book you make me so proud.
I've always been a reader. Ever sine I was old enough to start understanding what I was reading. I have boxes of books in the garage that I've kept because I might go back and read again. The sad thing is I got rid of 10 boxes of books between the move and yard sales.
In some cases the books are better than the movies. Absolute Power, The CLient, etc..
Some of my favorite non fiction are small devotionals..like "Looking at Life from a Deer Stand"...any way my .02 cents
Now that post was written by a true book-lover. (I love the fact that you talked about how you missed the characters!) Hmm, I'll have to decide on a new recommendation for you. (Actually, since you're on a Francine Rivers kick, you must read the Mark of the Lion trilogy.)
I liked this post, I feel the same way! After I finish a book and days of neglecting all responsibilities, I walk around lost like "What do I do now?" and think of the characters and story.
But I do have to take breaks and get back into reality for awhile. Then, when reality isn't fun, I get out my Laura book list for another.
Trace isn't thrilled when a start another book, because he knows he will be ignored for a week or so! But he's glad I've found out I actually do like to read!
my mom taught us to enjoy reading. she told us things like "books are our friends. we take care of them and respect them." and "you wouldn't bend your friend's ear would you? well then, don't bend the corners to mark your place." i am so thankful to mom for teaching me to love the written word. i am trying to pass this passion for reading on to my kids.
Redeeming Love is a great book.
They are talking about making it a movie. That would be interesting.
Keep it up! :)
Anything by Francine Rivers is good! Yey for you Paige!! I have the "Last Sineater" if you want to borrow it. I've loaned out my Mark of the Lion Trilogy to someone in CA so it may be awhile before I get those back. But I highly recommend them!
im thesame way about books, when i find the time to read them. actually i always have time its just tearing myself away from food network or HGTV to read. but now that it is getting warm and i can sit on the deck... reading might be on again!!
i said all that to say - last summer i read a great book. now me, im in to other cultures. i love to read about how they do things somewhere else. and i love it when the main character is a girl, because then i can really place myself into the book and see me doing the things that she is doing. a friend of mine suggested i read "Memoirs of a Geisha" and i am so glad i did. if you are into Japanese culture, you should read it. now there are some parts of it that are "blush" moments. but for the most part it is just a GREAT look into another world.
Post a Comment